Hi All, I hope everyone is well and also your family. As a way to extend help during this time of crisis, Visa Consort in partnership with Pinoy AU, would like to offer further reduced rate (for a limited period) to anyone who would wish to engage a migration agent service. If you have conducted your research, you know that their rate is one of the most affordable in the market. Please click here for more details about the offering.
Hi to All, Please take extra care guys wherever you are, take care of your love ones too. Especially to our friends in Singapore, more being confirmed, and are through community spread, no longer from people who travelled from China. Observe proper hygiene at all times and also monitor our little ones as they often put their hands in their mouth.
Welcome to the New and Upgraded Pinoy AU Forum! We have only updated a couple of times since 2010. Apology it took some time. Some of the features are still being migrated. Please feel free to report here or email me at [email protected] if you will encounter any issues. Thank you.

Work as an engineer in Australia

123457»

Comments

• rvonlinervonline Melbourne Posts: 28Member
    > @francorio said:
    > Hi po newbie here. I'm currently applying for PR and my target location is in melbourne. I'm a civil engr d2 sa pinas. Based sa mga forums and blogs na na nakita ko mukang mahirap talaga mag hanap ng work jan sa au. I'm preparing myself to work for a blue collar job once I landed while looking for engr job. Target ko sana is skilled worker in construction kahit carpenter or even laborer. Tanong ko lang kung mahirap ba pumasok kahit sa ganun industry? Thanks in advance

In the next 7 years, melbourne will be busy in construction. Projects in tenders and planning are heaps.
    NEL project is the biggest.
    Melbourne Airport link
    Highspeed Geelong train
    Level crossing removal
    Monash Upgrade
    Monash subway

Early this year, my manager was saying if you have Engg degree and knows how to speak english we want you for the major projects. They been hiring people from interstate because no available engineer in Vic.
  • Gft_SGGft_SG MelbournePosts: 91Member

@kimpoy said:

Good day.

Paano po makakuha ng local experience sa Oz kung ang target job ko is makapasok sa drafting job? Currently working as M&E drafter sa construction sa SG. Dati din ako nagwork as electrical drafter sa eng'g consultancy sa SG & PH. Yung pagiging engineer lang ang di ko napractice dito sa SG.

1. Magvolunteer sa mga community...counted po ba ito as local experience?
    2. any job po ba will count as local experience if gusto ko pumasok sa line of work ko?
    3. Mayroon po bang drafting trainee? just to have a local experience?

Hi Kimpoy,

Malaki ang demand for pinoy drafting here and after working here for 5 years, I can assure you, we have made a good reputation here as "expert" drafters. So I think the best way to get in the industry is be persistent. Tawagan mo ang recruiter and have a casual talk if they are interested to check your experience. I know it is hard to convince them if you do not have a local experience, but tell them anyway. My first job, i told the recruiter you can try me for a week and if you are not happy, just dismiss me by Friday. since then tuloy tuloy na.

2339 Other Engineering Professional
    23-Mar-2013 :IELTS - Total Band Score: 7.5
    06-Jun-2013 :EA CDR Submitted
    30-Aug-2013 :EA Positive Result
    06-Sep-2013 :EOI lodged (65 points) -189 Visa
    01-Nov-2013 : Applied for Victoria SS
    08-Nov-2013 : Victoria SS approved (that was unexpected)
    11-Nov-2013: Withdraw 189 EOI and applied 190 EOI
    11-Nov-2013: Invitation received
    14-Nov-2013: lodged 190 visa
    14-22-Nov-2013: upload all docs
    22-Nov-2013: medical (SAta) and SG PCC
    02-Dec-2013: wifes medical cleared. Mine could be referred to MOC(hoping clearance wont take time
    13-Dec-2013; SG COC uploaded
    16-Dec-2013: medical cleared
    07-Jan-2014: co allocated
    08-jan-2014: grant eid june 2014
    may 2014: moved to melbourne
    its been good eversince. got a job, car and soon moving to our new house.

• kimpoykimpoy SingaporePosts: 184Member

@Gft_SG Salamat sa reply

ANZSCO 312311 | Electrical Engineering Draftsperson |

29.04.2017 |IELTS GT |LRSWO|6.0/7.0/6.5/6.0|6.5
    05.04.2018 | PTE-A |LRSWO|62/75/64/68|68
    15.04.2018 | Lodged EA Assessment
    31.05.2018 | EA: POSITIVE
    06.07.2018 | Submitted 489 EOI 55+10=65 pts SA|
    30.07.2018 | Lodged SA State Nomination Application
    26.10.2018 | ITA Received - 489 (SA)
    06.12.2018 | Lodged Visa 489 application (SA)
    04.06.2019 | Direct Grant

• rvonlinervonline Melbourne Posts: 28Member
    Kimpoy, you will be fine here. Yun overseas experience mo will be considered here. Bihira yun ME drafter dito. Just ensure you highlight your skills, experience at work achievement. No more than 2 pages.
  • kenroykenroy PhilippinesPosts: 32Member

Hello po, I am a Civil Engineer specialized in Roads and Highway Design. Ask ko lang po sana what are the chances of finding a job, considering that I have already a background in Australian standards since I already worked in an Australian Design Consultancy Firm here in PH. Unfortunately, nagka lay-off and di ko nacontinue so I only had 6 months fruitful worth of experience. Any engineers here with the same line as I do? Thanks and God Bless!

• PitMbPitMb New South WalesPosts: 73Member

@kenroy said:
    Hello po, I am a Civil Engineer specialized in Roads and Highway Design. Ask ko lang po sana what are the chances of finding a job, considering that I have already a background in Australian standards since I already worked in an Australian Design Consultancy Firm here in PH. Unfortunately, nagka lay-off and di ko nacontinue so I only had 6 months fruitful worth of experience. Any engineers here with the same line as I do? Thanks and God Bless!

If you are already here in Oz, in Sydney specifically or any part of NSW, google the Tier 1, 2 and 3 companies that are involved in Major Infra projects, of the Tier 1 Comp. CPB and John Holland have the most projects in terms of budget, involves bridge, roadworks and tunnels, start from there.

@rvonline said:
    > @francorio said:
    > Hi po newbie here. I'm currently applying for PR and my target location is in melbourne. I'm a civil engr d2 sa pinas. Based sa mga forums and blogs na na nakita ko mukang mahirap talaga mag hanap ng work jan sa au. I'm preparing myself to work for a blue collar job once I landed while looking for engr job. Target ko sana is skilled worker in construction kahit carpenter or even laborer. Tanong ko lang kung mahirap ba pumasok kahit sa ganun industry? Thanks in advance

In the next 7 years, melbourne will be busy in construction. Projects in tenders and planning are heaps.
    NEL project is the biggest.
    Melbourne Airport link
    Highspeed Geelong train
    Level crossing removal
    Monash Upgrade
    Monash subway

Early this year, my manager was saying if you have Engg degree and knows how to speak english we want you for the major projects. They been hiring people from interstate because no available engineer in Vic.

And so is Sydney, infra projects here are everywhere, Airport, Metro, Light Rails, Tunnels, Interchange, were looking at a 30 year development, if you can be here before the Metro West starts maybe we can recommend you for a Junior role, you'll start from scratch as the work culture is different but you're Pinoy i'm pretty sure you'll get there

@rvonline said:
    I migrated here 12 years ago with advised from an Agent to go thru Vetassess instead of EA because it’s easier to get approval. I nominated Project Admin for assessment purposes though I worked as Project Engineer in Phils.

I spoke to EA and ask them about the benefits of being a member and can they help me find a job. EA told me as a member you get discount on training and seminar for CPD and networking with fellow members but we can’t help you find a job.
    Since then nawalan na ako ng interest mag pa assess for membership. I’m working as construction engineer for Tier1 company (maybe no.1 or 2 Aus company). Half of my colleagues are also not a member, majority studied here and never renew their membership after being a graduate member. I know someone who’s EA member and PMP works as Sales Engineer / Manager.
    They said if you intend to be a charter engineer (i think usually designer), it’s better to be a member for CPD purposes. If you have spare money and it will benefit you, go for it otherwise don’t worry about it.

Are you with CPB?

• JanaJana Posts: 3Member

Hello po, newbie here but silent reader, been here for 2 months now in Sydney and still have no luck pa din. Looking for construction estimator role, baka po may mag openings sa company nyo. Thank you po.

• ali0522ali0522 philippinesPosts: 209Member

@PitMb hi po, can you recommend me for junior roles sir? My experience is structural analysis in bridges and residential/commercial building. I am a structural engineer in ph for over 5 years, I have also structural drafting experience. I have visa 190.

• moskiomoskio Posts: 33Member

Hello po sa inyong lahat sana may mka advice po sa inyo sa kung anong dapat gawin nmin ..currently we are going to lodge our visa 190 at ako po main applicant. Ang asawa ko po ay QC Civil engineer dito sa Dubai. Need paba nya mgpa assess sa EA pra makahanap cya ng work dyan if ever ma grant kmi..required po ba ng employer yung assessment ng EA..or no need na po nyang mgpa assess..

• Captain_ACaptain_A AUSTRALIAPosts: 1,739Member, Moderator

@moskio said:
    Hello po sa inyong lahat sana may mka advice po sa inyo sa kung anong dapat gawin nmin ..currently we are going to lodge our visa 190 at ako po main applicant. Ang asawa ko po ay QC Civil engineer dito sa Dubai. Need paba nya mgpa assess sa EA pra makahanap cya ng work dyan if ever ma grant kmi..required po ba ng employer yung assessment ng EA..or no need na po nyang mgpa assess..

*not required, it can be helpful, employers refer to applicant's work experience. EA assess is for migration lang

18 Mar '16 IELTS Results
    06 Apr '16 EA CDR Skills Assessment submitted
    26 Apr '16 EA Skills Assessment Positive Outcome
    06 May '16 PTE-A Exam
    07 May '16 PTE- A Results & Submitted EOI
    11 May '16 Got ITA
    02 Jun '16 Lodge Visa
    04 Jul '16 Direct Grant

Believe you can... and you're halfway there.... - Roosevelt

• moskiomoskio Posts: 33Member

Maraming salamat po sir @Captain_A

• rigilabogadorigilabogado Posts: 6Member

Good day sainyo. Mechanical engineer po ako sa isang metal manufacturing dito sa pinas, more on application ng mechanical systems, design & drafting ang experience ko ( shredder machine, boat winch, conveyors, etc.) pero 1 year pa lang po experience ko dito sa pinas, magiging dependent po ako ng de facto partner ko na magaaral sa sydney, may tumatanggap po ba sakanila kahit 1 yr experience lang na part time mechanical engr since certificate course lng kukunin ng partner ko? or kunh di po pede baka po mayroon kahit medyo related sa mechanical engineering na work kahit di specifically mechanical engr ang title.

@rigilabogado said:
    Good day sainyo. Mechanical engineer po ako sa isang metal manufacturing dito sa pinas, more on application ng mechanical systems, design & drafting ang experience ko ( shredder machine, boat winch, conveyors, etc.) pero 1 year pa lang po experience ko dito sa pinas, magiging dependent po ako ng de facto partner ko na magaaral sa sydney, may tumatanggap po ba sakanila kahit 1 yr experience lang na part time mechanical engr since certificate course lng kukunin ng partner ko? or kunh di po pede baka po mayroon kahit medyo related sa mechanical engineering na work kahit di specifically mechanical engr ang title.

yes meron nmn basta masigasig ka mag hanap

18 Mar '16 IELTS Results
    06 May '16 PTE-A Exam
    11 May '16 Got ITA
    02 Jun '16 Lodge Visa
    04 Jul '16 Direct Grant

• JacrayeJacraye SydneyPosts: 93Member

@chikka_gurl143 said:
    Hi everyone!

I am an engineer from the Philippines. I am migrating to Aus as a partner of an Aussie. Do I need to become a member of Engineers Australia before I can apply for a job here in Aus?

I will appreciate it if someone is able to shed light on this.

Daghang Salamat!

Joycenel

Hi @chikka_gurl143. for your question, it's a NO. you don't need to be a member of EA to get a job in au. However, it will always be an advantage.

ANZSCO 233213 Quantity Surveyor

@chikka_gurl143 said:
    Hi everyone!

I am an engineer from the Philippines. I am migrating to Aus as a partner of an Aussie. Do I need to become a member of Engineers Australia before I can apply for a job here in Aus?

I will appreciate it if someone is able to shed light on this.

Daghang Salamat!

Joycenel

in my experience, no employer has mentioned about EA membership, they look more on how close your work experience to the position they need.

18 Mar '16 IELTS Results
    06 May '16 PTE-A Exam
    11 May '16 Got ITA
    02 Jun '16 Lodge Visa
    04 Jul '16 Direct Grant