Hi Everyone, I managed to get in touch with Yahoo staff and resolve the issue with the emails and notifications should be back. If you feel like disabling email notifications, you can do it via your Preference settings. Click the upper right Gear icon > Edit Profile > Right side Menu > Notification Preferences.

DRAFTSPERSON/DRAFTING RELATED/DRAFTING SPECIALIST/SHIP DESIGN

Hi Everyone!

I ran into this forum looking jobs in Australia, Planning something while we are in still in Quarantine. Hope you guys are doing fine in this strange times.

My contract just ended in Singapore right before the lockdown and lucky in a way I was able to get home before all of that. I was a DRAFTING SPECIALIST for 2 years back there and I have an 8 year experience as a SHIP DESIGN STAFF in a Shipbuilding Company in the Philippines. I am planning to work in Australia (not right now) and I am wondering how I will be able to do that since I am still in the Philippines.

My plans are
1) Get help from an Agency and get an assesment under Skills Migratio
OR
2) Study in Australia and look for a job related or a better job , a good employer that will sponsor my work visa while still studying. (If I could not get a job, then I'll just use my Certificate to apply again in Singapore so I can get a better job with a better salary)

My Questions are, are my job experiences enough and does job title really matter in Australia? I am a graduate of Computer Science btw but ended up in a Shipbuilding Company (hehehe) Do I need an Engineer Job Title to be on the list?or as long as I have the right skills on my resume? I've read on this forum that Draftsman are in demand? My job are almost the same as an engineer though. But I am also willing to shift into another Career if that what it takes.

Hope you can give some advices and Tips on what should my DISKARTE would be.

Thank you so much and I would appreciate all your replies!God bless you all!

Comments

  • KaidanKaidan Posts: 119Member

    You have a lot of reading assignments to do if you're just about to start.

    First about experience, usually (but not necessarily always), you fare a better chance by means of getting a higher EOI score if your degree and work experience are consistent. Then, your work experience must also be consistent for all your claimed years. Were you a ship design drafter/staff from the start until now? If yes, that's good, if not, you have to choose which career you are most invested in, then the other years which have significantly different role will not be considered. As far as I know, they don't consider "ship design staff" and draftsperson as the same. But you can try maybe to get assessed for an NEC type occupation, you have to justify this depending on the assessing authority.

    After that you need to consider what types of visas are applicable to your nominated occupation. Then territories where they are eligible. TLDR: Ship Drafter, Draftperson, and NEC variations may not have the same eligibility.

    To address your other questions, personally if your chances are slim, study is a good option provided that you can actually afford it and the program is actually lucrative. Tuition fees for foreign students are astronomical. This is an investment and has a high risk with regard to what you intend to get which is migration or Australian employment. This is not a guaranteed pathway to migration. If it's just about "learning", then by all means go for it and it's not going to be wasted - as if this is what most Filipinos are after. Also, you are most certainly will not be allowed to work full time "while studying" so there's no such thing as "employer sponsorship while studying". Student visa holders are allowed to work but with a number of limitations.

    Job titles don't matter much if you're not applying for upper management roles, they look for the details of your roles - that is more important. But this is for the assessment stage. For employment if you already landed in OZ, it may have weight.

  • erwayneerwayne Posts: 83Member

    @Kaidan said:
    You have a lot of reading assignments to do if you're just about to start.

    First about experience, usually (but not necessarily always), you fare a better chance by means of getting a higher EOI score if your degree and work experience are consistent. Then, your work experience must also be consistent for all your claimed years. Were you a ship design drafter/staff from the start until now? If yes, that's good, if not, you have to choose which career you are most invested in, then the other years which have significantly different role will not be considered. As far as I know, they don't consider "ship design staff" and draftsperson as the same. But you can try maybe to get assessed for an NEC type occupation, you have to justify this depending on the assessing authority.

    After that you need to consider what types of visas are applicable to your nominated occupation. Then territories where they are eligible. TLDR: Ship Drafter, Draftperson, and NEC variations may not have the same eligibility.

    To address your other questions, personally if your chances are slim, study is a good option provided that you can actually afford it and the program is actually lucrative. Tuition fees for foreign students are astronomical. This is an investment and has a high risk with regard to what you intend to get which is migration or Australian employment. This is not a guaranteed pathway to migration. If it's just about "learning", then by all means go for it and it's not going to be wasted - as if this is what most Filipinos are after. Also, you are most certainly will not be allowed to work full time "while studying" so there's no such thing as "employer sponsorship while studying". Student visa holders are allowed to work but with a number of limitations.

    Job titles don't matter much if you're not applying for upper management roles, they look for the details of your roles - that is more important. But this is for the assessment stage. For employment if you already landed in OZ, it may have weight.

    Wow thank you so much for that long reply, It cleared my head a lot, but yeah that's what I'm thinking, my job experience is a bit odd and like you mentioned if I'll be studying it will cost me so much and I'm not getting any younger, although it's never too late to learn more skills, I mean why not? But at the end of the day, the goal is to get a nice job and have a better life.sigh... I guess Australia is not for me or maybe I'll just look other options... :-( But thank you so much sir, for the advices you just said. Appreciated it a lot, Stay Safe and God bless.

  • JepoyJesaLucasJepoyJesaLucas SingaporePosts: 28Member

    Hi @erwayne , please check description for (Mechanical Engineering Draftsperson - ANZSCO 312511) or ANZSCO 2335.. If mag fit ang work mo sa description.. by the way, SCM ka po ba? anong department mo?

  • erwayneerwayne Posts: 83Member

    @JepoyJesaLucas said:
    Hi @erwayne , please check description for (Mechanical Engineering Draftsperson - ANZSCO 312511) or ANZSCO 2335.. If mag fit ang work mo sa description.. by the way, SCM ka po ba? anong department mo?

    Hi sir @JepoyJesaLucas , yes SCM!hahaha Piping Department po, small world anu? how bout you?Are you still working there right now or dati pa po? May mga kaibigan kasi ako nag aaral sa Australia, kaya napag usapan namin na try ko din daw mag aral kaso they have certain courses that will qualify you to become PR or to get a working visa. Subukan ko sana mag aral din, kaso yun nga medyo magastos. Try ko din hanapin yung sa Mechanical Draftperson. Salamat po sa Advice sir

  • JepoyJesaLucasJepoyJesaLucas SingaporePosts: 28Member

    @erwayne said:

    Hi sir @JepoyJesaLucas , yes SCM!hahaha Piping Department po, small world anu? how bout you?Are you still working there right now or dati pa po? May mga kaibigan kasi ako nag aaral sa Australia, kaya napag usapan namin na try ko din daw mag aral kaso they have certain courses that will qualify you to become PR or to get a working visa. Subukan ko sana mag aral din, kaso yun nga medyo magastos. Try ko din hanapin yung sa Mechanical Draftperson. Salamat po sa Advice sir

    Check mo lang description baka mag fit yong sa Anzsco.. Check mo din sa forum na to kasi parang may deduction sa years of experience if ang course mo ay d fit sa experience mo..Drafting Specialist din ako pero 7 months lang sa Instrumentation ng Karish.. madami pa ako kasama dyan galing Dash ng Cebu :D

  • erwayneerwayne Posts: 83Member

    sa 3125 ganito yung naka lagay, halos pareho lang at kung tutuusin nga ay mas complicated pa ginagawa natin diyan dahil connected sa iba ibang system, discipline and materials ang scope natin. Pero kung ang rules nila eh may deductions pag hindi similar sa course, wala tayo magagawa, unless siguro ay may EMPLOYER ka na mag SPONSOR sa yo? Pwede kaya yung ganun? Anyway, sa Karish ka pala sir, patapos na din ata sila, yung Piping sa AY sila nilagay, ang layo hahaha! Hanapin ko din yung about Years of Experience vs Course dito. Salamat po sir

  • KaidanKaidan Posts: 119Member

    @erwayne said:

    sa 3125 ganito yung naka lagay, halos pareho lang at kung tutuusin nga ay mas complicated pa ginagawa natin diyan dahil connected sa iba ibang system, discipline and materials ang scope natin. Pero kung ang rules nila eh may deductions pag hindi similar sa course, wala tayo magagawa,** unless siguro ay may EMPLOYER ka na mag SPONSOR sa yo?** Pwede kaya yung ganun? Anyway, sa Karish ka pala sir, patapos na din ata sila, yung Piping sa AY sila nilagay, ang layo hahaha! Hanapin ko din yung about Years of Experience vs Course dito. Salamat po sir

    Australian employer? Then may additional points ka lang siguro sa total EOI mo pero depende pa rin sa type ng visa. Ung skills assessment will proceed as is kahit may sponsor ka. Then again, gano ba kadali mag hanap ng employer na willing ka mag-sponsor.

  • erwayneerwayne Posts: 83Member

    @Kaidan said:

    @erwayne said:

    sa 3125 ganito yung naka lagay, halos pareho lang at kung tutuusin nga ay mas complicated pa ginagawa natin diyan dahil connected sa iba ibang system, discipline and materials ang scope natin. Pero kung ang rules nila eh may deductions pag hindi similar sa course, wala tayo magagawa,** unless siguro ay may EMPLOYER ka na mag SPONSOR sa yo?** Pwede kaya yung ganun? Anyway, sa Karish ka pala sir, patapos na din ata sila, yung Piping sa AY sila nilagay, ang layo hahaha! Hanapin ko din yung about Years of Experience vs Course dito. Salamat po sir

    Australian employer? Then may additional points ka lang siguro sa total EOI mo pero depende pa rin sa type ng visa. Ung skills assessment will proceed as is kahit may sponsor ka. Then again, gano ba kadali mag hanap ng employer na willing ka mag-sponsor.

    uu nga po eh, it probably doesn't work like that in Australia, mahirap din maghanap ng employer, eh di sana madami na din na hired anu po and unless sobrang qualified ka talaga...case to case pa din yan for sure and a little bit of luck.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Pinoy AU Community!

The longest running Pinoy-Australian Forum site in the history. We are connecting Pinoys "in" and "to" Australia since 2010! If you want to join in, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Random Members
(42777)

JonversionrainybrainyTeng10topaz11misterVjohannelykagycokoala_beermalynjoycomotmiles30beeare88johnzenskyderricklimdmbalagbaganAngelikaBlJaymeG5130janamharizKheiasuncion010@yahoo.comJaunitaCurNaKuratoboxcuttahz
Browse Members

Members Online (14) + Guest (119)

Hunter_08kcclljcallmeskylerred_lioncucciMarites_47kitchie0926KDOKaitkhunnie0624luckyeli0520jouelmarielunaolewdaimarusteveathanas

Top Active Contributors

Top Posters