Hi all! I'm mainly seeking advice, especially from those who have a successful experience with surname change after becoming a Permanent Resident (PR).
I've been a PR since June 2016
, but I'll be married this weekend and I would like to change my surname
. I've done a fair bit of research on the steps that I would take, which are as follows:
- Apply for my marriage certificate.
- Register for a legal name change through the Department of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Divorces (BDM).
- Use the marriage certificate to change my name in IDs/registrations/memberships (e.g. driver's licence, medicare, car registration, teacher's registration, bank, ATO, superannuation, etc.).
- Accomplish the Report of Marriage Form and E-passport Renewal Form then apply for passport renewal and name change through the Philippine Embassy in Canberra/Sydney.
The steps seem pretty straightforward to me. However, I do have concerns:
- Will there be any issues with my PR visa status, since my visa document states my maiden name?
- Will this name change affect my future citizenship application?
- Will there be issues travelling in and out of the Philippines/Australia?
Thank you in advance!
EARLY CHILDHOOD (PRE-PRIMARY SCHOOL) TEACHER (ANZSCO 241111)
11/Apr/15: IELTS-IDP AU (L: 8.5, R: 8.5, W: 7.5, S: 8.0)
14/May/15: Lodged AITSL Application
14/Jul/15: Positive Assessment from AITSL
24/Jul/15: Submitted EOI (60 pts.)
6/Sep/15: Received ITA
19/Sep/15: Lodged Visa 189
16/Oct/15: Lodged documents for Teacher Registration
27/Oct/15: CO Allocated (Team Adelaide)
10/Dec/15: Visa Grant
12/Feb/16: Became a Registered Teacher in QLD
5/Jun/16: Big Move to Oz!
11/Jun/16: Hired as a Kindergarten Teacher
"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows. It's what the sunflowers do." -Helen Keller